.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Why I am unique, and how my environment affects this.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Oh, the endless delays

So, I was listening to The Girl on Tech podcast. There was a show called I married a geek, or something like that. Anyway, all these vaguely geeky people (like myself) were talking about how they couldn't spend time with their families because of their podcasts and webpages and etc, that were collectively eating into family time. OK. I thought (very briefly) about starting a podcast. But then I came back into the real world. I don't even have enough time to exercise. How can I possibly have the time to start a podcast? I am trying to raise a fine human being, not the next Jeffrey Dalmer, so I do try and spend time with the family. I work full-time, out-of-the-home, so I get maybe 2 hours of family time, before Martin goes to "sleep". Then I get maybe 2 hours of time with Jason, and half of that is usually sucked up in chores and getting Martin to sleep. I can't even update my blog at home. I do it during my breaks at work. Hey, I'm allowed breaks, right? I very seldom do the internet thing at home. Very seldom. Maybe during the weekends. So all this is a long and round-about explanation as to why my blog is not updated like clockwork. Sorry about that, but I have a life, just like you. Any, what I really wanted to talk about was..... MY HAIR. You know the legend of Samson and Delilah. Well, I am mainly talking about the part of the legend where Samson believes that the source of his strength is in his hair. Yes. I totally understand. My power is also in my hair. I hate my hair, but I can't seem to cut it. It has gotten so bad, that I no longer trust stylists with my hair, I purchased a pair of trimmers, and I trim my own hair. I have to lie down after I trim it. I'm not kidding. You may be thinking I have hair past my ass. No. I don't even properly know how long my hair is, truly. I have extremely curly hair. No. Extreme. It is like one of those springs that you find in a ball point pen. The kind with the clicky-top. I'm not kidding. And I have a LOT of it. It takes me 30 minutes to wash it. Just to WASH it. THIRTY minutes. 1800 seconds. Yes. Then it takes me another 15 minutes to comb the knots out. FIFTEEN minutes. Then it takes me 2 more hours to make all my little twisty-thingies that I usually wear. So the twisty-thing in the very front of my face will reach down to my top lip, usually. If I stretch it, it reaches to under my chin. alternatively, I can wash it, then comb it, then blow dry it. Then take a flat-iron and straighten it. Then take my hot rollers and curl it. This also takes about 2 hours. No maybe more like a buck quarter. But still. I wash my hair, on average, every other week. Yes. Every. Other. Week. Why? Did you read all that? How often would you wash your hair if the entire process took three hours? Yes, I thought so. Sometimes it is every week, though. It depends. I'll probably wash it this weekend (I washed it last Sunday) because my twists look a bit crooked this time. Anyway. I could cut my hair, and it would take significantly less time, but I can't. I just can't. I wish I could, but I can't. I'll lose my power, you see? So I deal with my rat's nest. I hate my hair.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mme.BlueWolfess said...

Well from one hair Diva to another I totally understand...mine is to my butt, very think , and heavy...tangles from hell as well...I wash mine once a week, wet braid it and let it air dry, and thats all I do to it, unless we are going out special or something then I drag out the hot rollers I use 3 sets of them, hair products, and large bobby pins...and three hours to get read y for a one hour dinner is normal...

8/19/2005 12:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Mme.BlueWolfess said...

very thick ..not think...lol

8/19/2005 12:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Pavlina said...

Don't you just love spell check?

8/19/2005 12:47:00 PM

 
Blogger Pavlina said...

Oh yeah, and I am so glad someone else out there feels my pain. Most people are all, yeah I have curly hair, but then they wash it in the shower every day. Whad-evah.

8/19/2005 12:48:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone with thick, straight hair I am jealous. Yes, my hair may take less time but that's because it won't "do" anything. Just hangs there. Limp. Blah. I try all sorts of hair products but basically, I am stuck with it up or down. Those are the two choices. And to get it up in a fashionable style that will stay in place takes easy, two to three hours. Just depends on how much of a perfectionist I wanna be. Very irritating. Gee, I guess I hate my hair too!

8/19/2005 01:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Pavlina said...

The I love my hair but cannot part with it club. Aren't we pathetic?

8/19/2005 02:33:00 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

Every other week, huh. I hate my hair too. I have enough for two people. It's not as curly as you described, but talk about frizz. I do mine everyday. 30 minutes of drying and pulling to straight. If I had more time I would flat iron it. But, I get up at 4:50 everyday. And talk about the cost of products!!!

8/19/2005 07:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home